Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hello, 2011!

res·o·lu·tion [rez-uh-loo-shuhn] – noun – a formal expression of opinion or intention

The inevitable New Year’s post is here, and I have been going back and forth on how to go about it.  I’m not really a “resolutions” kind of girl. Sure, I’d like to lose a few pounds and save a little money and explore potential career opportunities. But my random list of ambiguous goals can’t exactly be considered the formal, life-changing proclamations that most people think of when you say “resolution.” And when you really think about it, how much sense does it make to try to plan out an entire year in advance? 

Not only that, one of my main hopes for myself precisely contradicts the list-making most people embark upon so willy nilly. This year, I am going to try to let go of the obsessive-compulsive tendencies I’ve developed since leaving college and entering this crazy “real world” where responsibilities loom large and nothing seems to go as planned. (Who knew the uncanny ability to photographically memorize my class notes wouldn’t come in nearly as handy as it did in school?!) For far too long, the loud, proud, hippie of a free spirit inside of me has been shushed by this anxious, worrisome, controlling version of myself that just won't. shut. up. But that girl is no more.

First on the list of banned activities? You guessed it: excessive list-making. So, I’ve decided to do things a little differently this year. Rather than make an intimidating laundry list of all my goals for the year at once, I’m going to make a conscious effort to identify things daily/weekly/monthly, things silly and serious, big and small, that I want or need to accomplish. Then, perhaps even more importantly, I am going to try to hold myself accountable without feeling guilty when I inevitably fall short. 

So, here’s to this brand new year and all the challenges and opportunities it will certainly bring. There are already some very BIG changes in store for our little family that I just cannot wait to share… stay tuned!

No comments: